Wednesday, February 4, 2009

From Trash to Treasure



Reduce, reuse, recycle...the three 'r' words that reside in the forefront of my mind. Even though my husband and I have brought our own grocery bags to the store for the last 10 years and have driven fuel efficient cars since the purchase of our first Honda Civic in 1992, and have been avid recyclers before we met one another, there's always room for improvement and we made some big ones last summer. We switched all our paper products from toilet paper and facial tissue to paper towels and napkins to brands made from 100% post consumer recycled paper. We also started buying natural household cleaners and make some of them ourselves. There's been a lot of little changes made along the way and we keep discovering more ways to live a greener lifestyle.

With that said, I decided to take this old chocolate heart shaped box that my husband gave me a couple years ago for Valentine's Day and dress it up to be used as a Valentine decoration. I covered the top of the box with this pretty glittered heart patterned paper and then used some wide rick rack along the underside of the lid to give it a scalloped shape. The top is then decorated with a wide white grosgrain ribbon bow, some mini rick rack and a strand of faux pearls. The tag is made from a Sizzix die cut machine and features a cute three dimensional glittered sticker from K & Company. I found this big white button in my stash and used it to attach the tag. So there you have it...from trash to treasure.

2 comments:

Ann said...

This is absolutely adorable! Way to go green, girlie!

Audrey Pettit said...

I think this is absolutely gorgeous, Kathy! And I know from first hand experience that you take the recycling lifestyle very seriously, and I SO respect you for everything you are doing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...